Friday, June 19, 2009

Last day in Abidjan

Today is my last day in Abidjan, the effective capital of Cote d'Ivoire. This afternoon I will leave for Yamoussoukro, which is the real capital but all of the country's government and administrative offices are in Abidjan. The health department of this organization is based in Yamoussoukro because it is closer to the districts where the biggest health projects are being implemented.

There are a lot of perks to being in Abidjan: lots of foreigners, good restaurants, supermarkets with familiar foods! At the guest house I have been spoiled to have the housekeeper who makes me breakfast every morning: fresh orange juice, tea, fresh fruit (usually mango, bananas, and papayas), and baguette. But there is also bad air quality and pollution, trash (in Abidjan, like other places with ineffective garbage systems, most people burn their trash),crazy drivers, lots of noise, lots of foreigners, etc.

I'm looking forward to Yamoussoukro...

No comments: